You have decided to try out Dayz! Good luck, you will need it.
I assume you have successfully pulled off installing the mod, if not, go HEREThings you need to do before you join a server:
1) Open DayZ map(s) in a browser
. I use the interactive map mainly but there are other maps that show more of world, for some reason the interactive map cuts off at the top/north.
If you are using steam it is easy to shift+tab to check it. Otherwise you need to tab out or kick it mega nerd like Kyuzo and print out a giant map. Or put it on a second monitor. You will have to do this at least until you find a map in game.
2) Know your controls - Test them out in a single player game or check out the reference manual located here
. You can also hit esc in game to check out some controls but make sure you are well hidden.When you join a server, these are the first steps to survival:Step one: Find out where you are.
Immediately when you load in it will tell you what area you are near or in. You NEED to know this to find out where you are quickly. Spending time trying to find out where the hell you are can eat up valuable time (you go hungry and thirsty) moving to an area.
The name of the area is located in the bottom right corner and is the second line of the three lines that will show up. If you do miss the listing in the bottom right corner when you load in, another really good way to find out where you are is to follow a city road to the edge and look for a city sign. Most cities usually have signs saying the name of the town by the roads leading into the city.
Generally you will spawn on the South or East coast. Step Two: Set a destination to get supplies.
One of the best initial points to get supplies is grocery stores. If you are using the interactive map these are marked on the map as a rectangle with a flag sticking out of the top left corner and are usually located inside cities. You can also get supplies (though usually a lot less) from any house/structure you can enter. You can only enter about 15% of houses so knowing which ones to check helps a lot. Open face sheds also sometimes have loot in them.Step Three: Sneak by zombies to get supplies.
You don't want to screw around in a city or when zombies are around. There will be zombies around when loot is available and possibly bandits and/or other players that will shoot on sight. It is best to not fire any guns inside a city. If you are in a groups with someone with an xbow let them take point. When you are preparing to go into the city find out what easiest way to get to the supply point is. If it is on the east side of the city, approach the city from the east side. Usually there is less zombies and you dont want to have to cross through a city to get somewhere, it is usually always better to go around.
Once you start getting close to zombies prone will be your best friend. Most successful scavenging missions in cities consist of crawling in prone and out prone without firing a shot. You can be fairly close to zombies prone without being seen (maybe 5-10 feet). Once you get supplies (make sure to utilize your bag space) move out of the city/area as fast as possible.Important!
If you do agro a zombie the best thing to do is run into a house. If you cannot run into a house i suggest running way out of the city before engaging them. To sprint you double tap the w key. You will not lose agro on a zombie until you kill them but you want to be away from other zombies when you are firing shots as not to agro more.
If you do manage to get into a house with zombie agro stand in the middle of a room (zombies can go through walls). The great thing about being inside is zombies move at 25% speed or so. You can line up headshots much easier when they arent flying around your screen. It takes 1 shot to the head to drop a zombie and usually 3 to the chest (with the starter weapon). Sometimes it will lag a little so don't get over zealous pumping shots in zombies. Ammo conservation is key. If you run out of ammo you are basically dead.Step Four: Team up and Survive.
After you get ample supplies and are confident you can travel a fair distance decide where you want to go. If no one is online and you don't know where we are based see if you can find someone else on the server who wants to team up. At the very least if they die you get more supplies! But watch your back as well.
If you are online with a couple guildies we will usually have a meet up point, usually somewhere north. Working your way to a guild stronghold will always be your best shot at extended survival.Pro tips for Surviving (feel free to add yours)
• If you take damage from anyone chances are you will be bleeding after. You can tell you are bleeding if your blood is dropping and/or there is a plus sign flashing on your blood symbol in the bottom right corner. To stop bleeding you will need to right click on a bandage in your inventory. (push g to access inventory and right click on bandage in ammo area.)
• Your temperature drops if it is night, raining, or you are in water. If your temp gets too low you can catch a virus, only way to cure it is anti biotics.
• To start a fire you need matches and wood. Click on the matches to drop the fire and light it. This will increase your temperature
• 3rd person view can be done by hitting enter on the num pad (you can go to your iron sights by tapping right click)
• Killing wildlife, skinning them (need knife), collecting raw meat from them and then cooking in a fire gives a lot more blood then cans of food
• You can recover water from lakes and wells (marked as blue squares on interactive map) with empty water canisters
• You can look over your shoulers by hitting 1 or 3 on num pad, or look around without moving you body by holding alt
• The only way to regain blood is by eating food (very little) or blood transufsions, (you need another person and a blood bag from a hospital to do this).
• If you eat food to recover life, eat cooked meat. It recovers 800 blood per steak as opposed to 200 per canned food.A Great noob video