You know the drill by now. I have opinions, and unlike everyone's butt, they don't stink. So, each CHristmas season I force my opinions upon you all by making a post that you totally don't have to read if you don't want to.
My recommendations to buy a game or not generally fall around if something is worth it for the money. Few games are absolutely not worth buying, many times they're just not worth buying for the price. FarCry 3 is a great game. It's really good and completely worth $40... $60 too, probably... but $80? No, it's not THAT good. Also, Stardew Valley. It's alot of fun, but... $20? Nah. $10, yea, $5 DEFINATELY. So... with that basis of understanding, here's the breakdown.
I break it down as buy
and the occasional super buy. I do my best to make these FIRST HAND recommendations. I tend to make a note if my feedback is not first hand or avoid recommendation all together if I have no first hand experience.
Without further adoo.... here we GO!
Thursday the 22nd
More buy reccomendations than usual today, but some seriously good games for very low prices.FREE
- $0.00 - GRID
- Not a terrible racing game... and not a terrible price. "Buy" on humble bundle
, redeems on steam with a steam key. Only available the next 2 days, so snag it now!BUY
- $9.89 - Project Cars
- Very good racing game. Beautiful, solid physics and that's a real good price. If you like racing games, I'd be surprised if you didn't already own this. Even the casual "uh, sure I like driving games" gamer will get their $10 out of this.BUY
- $7.99 - Baulders Gate 2 Enhanced
- $8 makes playing through this solid remaster totally worth it. First time or fifth time, you will enjoy it. It has all the right bits for the old school RPGs. Solid story, solid characters, solid mechanics and just the right amount of wit.BUY
- $4.99 - PayDay 2
- My only knock on this game is that it just feels wrong to have the objective of mass police slaughter. The gameplay is solid, the heists theme fun. This is ALOT of game for $5. If you're desensitized to such things, no bother, you'll love the game. I get past my hangups quick when playing, but I sometimes wonder if I should. Great game tho.BUY
- $12.49 - Darkest Dungeon
- A fantastic turn based rogue like who's gameplay is very hard to explain. It's a bit of a dungeoneering, party management simulator. It plays really really well, and while I'm not normally one for horror, it hits its lovecraftian setting really well. Your adventurer's sanity acts as a restrictor to just pounding through levels with the same characters over and over again, and pushing them too far can result in permanent debuffs that work very well in the theme. Fantastic game, tons of play here.BUY
- $12.27 - Civilization 5 Complete Bundle
only get this if you're shelling out for the bundle. Gods and Kings is ESSENTIAL for me to recommend playing this game. Very good with the expansions. Significant tweaks in gameplay made this really really good at the end. I still prefer playing this over Civ 6, tho to be honest I only have about 8 hours in Civ 6... which isn't much for a Civ game.BUY
- $14.99 - [bJust Cause 3[/b] - This is $50 worth of open world, explosions and mayhem fun. Open world skill challenges, racing, flying, shooting, good story, territory control... so much fun all around. I can heartily endorse this game.MEH
- $9.99 - The Long Dark
- It was just OK. There's enough game here to justify $10, but it wasn't super interesting or all that engrossing IMO.MEH
- $7.49 - Cities Skylines
- I payed way too much for this game. It's better than SimCity, that's for sure, but it's not terrific. If you like City Simulators, this a a reasonable price and it's a decent game. I just found myself bored with it pretty quickly. Genuinely not sure why.PASS
- $29.74 - Farming Simulator 17
- Nothing significant to recommend a re-purchase since 2015... and even if you've never played it and are super interested... this is a terrible price. No where near worth $30.PASS
- $29.99 - Assetto Corsa
- This is actually a very good game, but I'm saying pass because Project Cars is only $10 and I like it more.
Also... cheaper. AC has slightly more accurate physics, but I find it a little less fun than PC.PASS
- $24.99 - The Division
- This was a fun game, but ultimately flawed in the end game. Really a great time with friends, but it simply ends in an unrewarding grind that doesn't end up being fun. There were recent additions that brought people back and people really liked... but I think I saw people back in the game for a week, maybe two. Not worth it unless you have a bunch of friends committed to playing.Have not played/no opinion
: Masters of Orion, Insurgency, Grim Dawn (i no rite?), Hyper Light Drifter, New Doom, Total War